Traditions

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Hello There!

             Soooo I’m new to this whole blog thing, but I’m super excited about it and seeing what all the Lord is going to reveal to me (and hopefully you, as well) as I begin this new blogging journey! J
 To give you a little background info on the title, I chose “Waiting in the Desert” because it’s a concept that the Lord has been teaching me a lot about this past year. What does it mean to wait upon the Lord? What does it mean to “go to the desert”? Personally I think it means humility. To recognize yourself as a broken, desperate individual who needs the love, peace, and forgiveness of Christ. Someone who is willing to take themselves to a place where only the Lord can meet their needs. I think it’s a beautiful picture. We see the metaphors found often in the Bible of the desert and the Living Water come together in a beautiful collision- when we are taken to the desert, the only thing that can satisfy our desires and our thirst is the Lord, the Living Water.
My wish is that my prayer life would reflect David’s, where my prayers are humble, desperate cries unto the Lord for Him to be my ultimate satisfaction: “O God, You are my God; I shall seek you earnestly; My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.” (Psalm 63:1.) I don’t want God to just be a nice Someone on the side- I want to yearn for Him with every ounce of my being, to the point where I don’t even bother seeking satisfaction from any other source- I just go straight to Him. Something else the Lord has revealed to me about Himself, especially this past year, is His faithfulness. Even though God doesn’t have an age, He’s still a pretty old Guy. He’s been around for a long, long time, and in that time He has made countless promises. What makes Him so awesome is that He kept every single one of those promises. My desire is that my confidence and trust in Him would continue to be strengthened, so that I would trust in His ability to fulfill the promises He’s made in my own life. I want to trust Him that He will rescue me from my own Babylons that I will face, just like He promised the Israelites in Isaiah: “The beasts of the field will glorify Me, the jackals and the ostriches, because I have given waters in the wilderness and rivers in the desert, to give drink to My chosen people.”  (Isaiah 43:20.)
So I hope that as I write this blog and let the Lord guide me in my own journey, that maybe these things the Lord has revealed to me would also bless and encourage you in your walk with God (Heb. 3:13). I’ve wanted to write a blog for awhile, but I felt like I wasn’t qualified. My thought-process was, “I’m trying to learn just like everyone else; what right do I have to pretend like I have all the answers?” Well, I still don’t have all the answers- not even close. But I do know one thing: The Lord is ruler of my life, and day-by-day our beautiful relationship grows stronger. I also know that as Christians, we are supposed to share with others what the Lord has taught us. Personally I’m much better with writing my thoughts than vocalizing them in person, and even then I’m not much of a writer, either. Still, I pray that God would use these ponderings to reveal Himself to all of us, and that these words would be used for His glory. I pray that what is said on this blog would encourage you, my brothers and sisters in Christ, to follow God into the desert. Let Him be your ultimate satisfaction, and your ultimate joy. I promise, He will quench your thirst (John 4:14), and you will not be disappointed.