Traditions

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Esther on Obedience

Happy Sunday! So I am really having a blast reading Esther…it’s so good! I just finished chapter 4, so if you wanna read where we left off last time, you can read it here.

So in chapter 3, Haman, the man in charge of the king’s princes, “seeks to destroy all the Jews” (vs. 6). When the king gives Haman permission to do as he pleases with the Jews, Mordecai is full of sadness. He shows the ultimate sign of sorrow (4:1) and sends word to his cousin Esther. Mordecai wishes Esther to “implore the king’s favor and to plead with him for her people” (vs.8).

Of course, Esther freaks out at that idea, because she hasn’t been summoned by the king for the past month. If she went before the king now, without being summoned, she would be put to death (unless the king held out the golden scepter so that she could live, vs.11). And this is Mordecai’s wise response:

“For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise for the Jews from another place and you and your father’s house will perish. And who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this?”

This awesome reply from Mordecai reminds me a lot of a quote by C.S. Lewis, “Whatever you do, [God] will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.”

Mordecai and C.S. Lewis’ advice, I think, is perfect wisdom regarding obedience. Even if Esther didn’t plead to the king regarding saving her people, God would protect His people. (We’ve seen God do this time and time again throughout history). But when a task is at hand for us to do, and we’re afraid to do it, we can’t just say, “Oh well it’s no big deal if I don’t do this because God will take care of it.” Yes, He will take care of it, but how much sweeter will the results be if we are the ones who carry out God’s wishes?

Something my pastor said this morning was, “One of the most powerful things you will ever do in your entire life is obeying Jesus Christ.” It’s true! Just as Esther has been given royalty by marrying the king, so we also have become royal by being married to our own Heavenly King. When difficult decisions come our way, we should remember that God probably put that decision / task there as a chance to obey Him, because “who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this?” I love Esther’s response to Mordecai’s advice:

“Go, assemble all the Jews who are found in Susa, and fast for me; do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maidens also will fast in the same way. And thus I will go in to the king, which is not according to the law; and if I perish, I perish” (vs. 15-16).

I LOVE her response! Not only does Esther choose to be obedient, but she also encourages Mordecai to fast while also fasting herself. Now I’m not saying that every time a difficult situation appears before you, you should fast – that’s between you and God and what you feel led to do. But prayer is what we should always do when faced with a difficult situation. Esther also responds with an attitude we should always have when obeying the Lord, “if I perish, I perish.” In other words, I will obey my faithful God, no matter what the costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment