Traditions

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Be Bold: New Theme!

So with the whole starting-a-new-chapter-in-my-life thing happening, I figured it was time for some changes on the blog. I love the “waiting in the desert” theme, and I pray that the Lord would daily teach me more on how exactly to do that. But for now, there is another concept that God is wanting me to focus on: boldness.

For the past four years of high school, God has shown me passages in Scripture that sort of become my “theme verses” – ones that He wants me to dive into and meditate on throughout the year. As move-in day for college has drawn nearer and nearer, I have been wondering and praying, “Lord…what do you want to teach me this year? Besides, of course, the overload of knowledge and experience I will gain in my first taste of college life, what do You want to teach me?”

Well, you’ve already read about my new love for Song of Solomon. I’ve mentioned my recent dive into the Timothy books. And then there’s just good ole James. Out of these three books, my theme verses for the year arose.
  • ·         Song of Solomon 5:6-7 “I opened to my beloved, but my beloved had turned away and had gone! My heart went out to him as he spoke. I searched for him but I did not find him; I called him but he did not answer me. The watchmen who make the rounds in the city found me, they struck me and wounded me; the guardsmen of the walls took away my shawl from me.” If you didn’t read my last post, then you’re probably very confused as to why this verse would have any positive significance. I believe that this verse represents boldness in that Solomon’s bride (who is a representation of the bride of Christ – the church) sought after her husband so desperately and diligently even at the risk and ultimately result of persecution. Nothing else mattered – not her reputation, not her safety, not the clothes on her back – nothing mattered except finding her beloved. That’s how I want to be with Jesus. I want to believe with every fiber of my being that Jesus is enough.
  • ·         2 Timothy 1:7 “For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline.” Short and sweet. I have heard this verse many times over the years, but now as I head off into this totally new chapter of life, it has a whole new meaning to it. For the next several months, I pray that God would help me break down this verse and understand what it means to have a spirit of power and love and discipline. God reminded me of His sovereignty when He showed me this verse, specifically referring to the word “discipline.” For Christmas, my parents gave me a book by Elizabeth Elliot called…can you guess it?... “Discipline”. I’ve only read the first few chapters, but I plan on taking it with me to college so that the Lord would give me a greater appreciation for discipline so He can show me how to apply it to my life. It’s funny how God works, sometimes. J (Side note: if you have never read anything by Elizabeth Elliot, you are missing out! I read her Passion and Purity last year and it rocked my world. She is one incredible woman.)
  • ·         James 1:22 “But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.” God used this verse to bring conviction…it gets me every time I read it. Growing up in a Christian home and going to a Christian school my whole life, there is a lot of “hearing” the Word of God that goes on…which is fantastic! But if there is no action to back it up, then all that “hearing” I’ve been doing means nothing. Just like James says later in his book, “Faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself” (2:17). I think God wants me not just to dig deeper into His word, but to really focus on the application aspect of it. When I’m studying His Word, whether it’s during my own personal study or in Bible class at college, I step back and say, “Alright Lord, show me how I can bring this truth You’ve shown me in my daily life?”


So those are my theme verses…I have a good feeling that God is going to use these verses in a powerful way. Along with those verses is a phrase that is quite old, but I was reminded of when listening to Audrey Assad’s “No Turning Back”: “Though none go with me, still I will follow. Those are nine words that bring so much conviction and encouragement in that if everyone around me stopped following Christ and I was all alone in my faith, I am still responsible to pick up my cross and follow Christ. To go along with the theme of boldness is a song that I was introduced to at church camp this summer. I’ve mentioned it in a post before, but I’m going to write out the lyrics to the bridge again, just cuz it’s that gorgeous J

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever you would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
That my faith may be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior

I love this bridge because it’s so full of faith and obedience… I want to have that, especially in the crucial time of my college years when so many huge decisions are ahead.

So in a nutshell, this is my motto for my freshmen year of college:

Being Bold…
To pursue Jesus with everything I have.
To live out my daily life with a spirit of discipline.
To be a “doer” of the Word in every action, every thought, and every word.

I tried to think of something shorter and catchier than that, but that’s all I’ve got. If you have any suggestions for something short and sweet, please feel free to comment. J *raise imaginary champagne glass that’s filled with…something not alcoholic* So here’s to living a life of boldness for the glory of God…maybe the Lord wants you to learn what that means, too!

P.S. Since I'll be starting college (I move in tomorrow actually...gah!), that means I probably won't be posting as much. Hopefully I can keep it up, though...I love doing it! God's taught me so much this year and it makes it even more fulfilling when I can share it. Anyways, if you don't hear from me as often, you'll know why. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment