Traditions

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Quick Encouragement for College Kids: Especially Freshies

So by this point, most college freshmen are moved into their dorms. I just moved in yesterday and…it was quite a day. In the first couple of weeks of college, there is a lot going on. I know I can only say so much because I’m only on day 2 of that journey, but just from what I’ve heard and already experienced, I know the transition is hectic, exciting, a little overwhelming, and a ton of fun.

Right before our hall meeting last night, I was ready to crash. My eyes felt extremely tired and heavy and all I wanted to do was sleep. But then the “little voice” in my heart said, “Have you forgotten Me?” It was God, and I had barely talked to Him all day. In the chaos of the move-in process, I had not been praying to Him. I hadn’t thanked or praised Him for the incredible day He had given me. I opened my Bible, not really knowing where to turn. In His awesomeness and faithfulness, He showed me exactly what He wanted me to see…something that I will continue to be reminded of in my first semester of college:

“Surely I will not enter my house, nor lie on my bed; I will not give sleep to my eyes or slumber to my eyelids, until I find a place for the Lord, a dwelling place for the Mighty One of Jacob.” –Psalm 132:3-5

Of course there will be late-night hall dance parties, all-nighters for studying, sport practices, or even just midnight chats with some buddies. But remember to take care of yourself with rest. Don’t forget the sweetness and importance of just resting in the Lord. Don’t go to sleep before you spend time with Him. Let Him be integral in every aspect of your life. Don't keep putting Him off. Go to Him NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment