Traditions

Friday, November 8, 2013

The Pianist


As we were leaving the Great Hall, we passed by the beautiful grand, and she said, “Do you wanna hear that song I was telling you about really quick? This melody has been stuck in my head for a few days.” So she graced down at the seat, the piano ready to receive her and ready to broadcast this beauty that had been enveloping her for so long.

I didn’t realize how transformed I would be after listening.

It was saturated in beauty, but there also seemed to be a sadness in it, which perfectly describes how I’ve been feeling the past month. I have witnessed so much suffering, so much sorrow. But in the midst of the ashes, there is peace that goes beyond all understanding. There is hope. There is grace. There is beauty. There is joy.

I don’t know whether all this was the meat behind the song or not. Either way, it was a huge gift to me this morning. Blessing those ivories with her hands is how she loves. How she serves. How she worships.

She is an example of making beautiful art. The melody of your life you never knew how to say – she can play it. The sorrow weighing you down – she can lift it. The joy that is almost bursting within your soul – she can proclaim it. Through her art, she tells the truth. And that, I think, is what real beauty is.

I’m grateful. I’m grateful that God’s Spirit not only moves through missionaries and pastors, but through chefs and psych majors and pianists. All the things I said above that she can do, of course can only be done through the common grace of God. He is the one to be praised. He is the Master Artist, and she is a student in His class. I am grateful for His incredible instruction, so that His students can release just a glimpse of His glory to the rest of the world.


Listen to some music today. No, not “We Can’t Stop” or Eminem’s newest album. Listen to some classical music, even if it’s not really your thing. Give it a try. You never know, maybe there’s been a message stirring in your heart that you’ve never been able to describe until now. Let this time be your release. To listen. To absorb. To enjoy the beauty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment