Traditions

Monday, November 19, 2012

Day 2: Family

“I love you” was a phrase of which I was very blessed to hear in my household growing up. To this day, family is “knit together in love”, and I’m very grateful. Our family is one that a lot of people don’t understand. Growing up I was sometimes questioned as to why I spent so much time with my parents or why I had movie days with my sister. The only response I was able to think of was, “well…my family and I are really close.” And for that, I am above and beyond thankful.

One my family's favorite vacation spots.

I’m so grateful to have a Dad who still enjoys having tickle fights with his eighteen year-old daughter. To have a Dad who demonstrates a character of strength and perseverance daily. To have a Dad who is a fellow nerd and watches LOTR with his daughters for fun. To have a warrior for a Father: on earth and especially in heaven.

I’m so grateful to have a Mom who genuinely cares for her daughter so much, that she gives her piles of books that teach on what it means to be a woman of God. To have a Mom who is a continual role model of selflessness when her daughter struggles with humility every day. To have a Mom who makes an apple pie just because she feels like it, and because life is good, so why not?

I’m so grateful to have a sister who seeks the Lord fervently. To have a sister who isn’t ashamed to belt out Broadway tunes while doing the dishes. To have a sister who passionately releases herself onto the canvas the Lord has given her. To have a sister whose laughter contagiously fills the room. To have a sister who is a role model…especially to me.

I’m so grateful to have extended family members who pursue the Lord. To have extended family members who are there for us – that have our backs. To have extended family members who make us laugh. To have extended family members who are continually praying for us.

I don’t deserve the family God gave me. But I’m sure glad He gave ‘em to me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment